Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 40 Figure it Out

This is the final entry on The Purpose Driven Life. It has taken me a long time to complete these 40 days. Some of the questions asked of me were repetitive and annoying while most were so thought provoking, it take me a while to figure out my answers. The final question asks when i am going to write my purpose statement.
The purpose statement is based on what I have learned for the book and how I am going to apply what I know now to the rest of my life. I realize that my purpose statement is going to take me weeks or probably months to write, finish, and fine tune. I will say that I have learned a bit about myself in reading this book. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing with my life. I knew I wanted to help people but didn't know how. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be part of my career or something I did on the side. I realize now what my purpose is (or at least I have an idea of what it is). I am going to use the talents that God gave me to reach out to kids in the criminal justice system. While I do not plan on making this my career, I do want to devote a significant amount of time to it. If all goes well, and this is really my purpose, I should be able to do so within the next couple of months.
The funny thing is I've never been one to be bothered with children. To me they were always someone else's headache. Even a a teenager myself, I thought that the things my peers said and did made no sense and were sometimes, straight ignorant. They did and said things that perpetuated a stereotype of not just young minority teens but teens in general. Although I tried to fit in, and act the way they did, it never was me, and my true self would show every time. This made me the nerd, and the outcast. I realize I was just mature for my age. This was probably my purpose the entire time. To use what I know and my passion for continued knowledge to teach but not in a traditional form. I want them to see there is more than basketball and rapping. Being intelligent isn't corny. I am going to start with kids who many have given up on......

Figure out what your purpose is and act on it. It isn't about how much many you want to make or cars you own, but what you do to make a small difference in someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment